nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 20:18:18 -0400

I just had a dissapointing experience this evening. I have been waiting to perform a bark graft on my persimmon root stock.  I dutifully checked some top growth to make sure that the bark 'slipped'. It did.  I then proceeded to cut off the top growth and prepared the scion. I cut the bark on the rootstock (about 1/2" caliper).  It did not slip.

Does this mean that rootstock readiness moves form shoot to root and is not simultaneous?

Betsy Hilborn

7a NC