nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illustrating, "bark in the slip"
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:14:09 -0500

Betsy,  Yes I have found that small twigs slip first, then larger ones, and then larger.  I don't know why, but I have been fooled many a time as you were by checking a small twig first, then standing there with my nice cut scion while I fumble with the bark on a cut branch that won't slip.  I wonder though, if we went away till the next day, if the sap meant to go out to the cut off branch would have collected enough to let the bark slip.  Maybe we should try this out to allow bark grafting a little earlier in the season.  I have PLENTY of cicada damaged branches on plum, apples and pears that will need to be cut off over the next few years.  Guess I could experiment.  I was EXTREMELY irritated this spring to find that plums in bloom and even leafing out were still not ready to bark graft, and due to all the cicada damage I was having trouble finding twigs small enough to do a simple splice graft on.  My scionwood was a bit far along when my source cut it, and I was in a hurry to use it.  Now we've had a good bit of rain and I look back and wonder if it was drought.    Donna