nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:13:46 -0500

Lucky, Last one of the Evans you sent me bloomed, it's near a carpenter ant nest and the ants picked the center out of every blossom. I tried things to keep them from being able to climb the trunk, but nothing worked. I'm hoping the other one will bloom this year, no ant nest near it. The large nest we have observed for years now was taken over by slaver ants, which spent late summer and the winter there, then moved on leaving what we thought was a dead colony. But this year the carpenter ants are at work again in the same spot. I guess the slavers didn't kill the queen. Alas, I am sorry to say that humans didn't invent slavery. At the beginning many of the carpenter ants fled, but the slavers dragged them back and set them to work. Donna