nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)

  • From: D Stubbs <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:47:07 -0500

From: "Ernest Plutko"

I have had Nanking cherries for 20 years and only one good harvest.
My son lives a little north of Minneapolis has huge crops every year.
I had no cherries last summer.  I think spring frosts kill the
flowers.  Nanking cherry are very hardy but it looks like the flowers
are not.  They make good pies.  Flavor is not the same as tree
cherries, different but good.  Pain to get the pits out.  Cherries
are too small for cherry pitter.

I keep 2 big Nankings soley for the robins to be distracted by, but otherwise switched over to Evans ( couple dozen trees).
 Hardiness, Flavor, Size, Propagation - for me the Evans wins out on all accounts.

Del ( 90 miles south of Ernest)