nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 8:07:10 -0500

My uncle lost all his plums to black knot. He also had brown rot, but that
seemed to be a disease of the fruits, not of the tree. Some of his trees
had substantial resistence to it and others didn't.

As for the black knot: he managed it for years by cutting off and burning
affected limbs in the fall. And it seemed to be a steady state, with the
trees making at least as mch new wood as he lost to black knot. (although
again, some cultivars were much more susceptible than others.) then one
year he had a drought, and the trees struggled to make it through the year.
The following year he was hit with massive black knot problems, and lost
all the plums within another year or two. I'm convinced it as the
drought
and the underlying weakness it caused that made his trees so susceptible.
___
Ginda