nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)

  • From: "rmelrose@danvilleVT.net" <rmelrose@danvilleVT.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:37:22 -0400

Karen, I suggest you check carefully to see whether your cherries
and apricots have brown rot -- you can find the description in many
places on line. It is pretty much endemic in New England and often
starts with blossom blast. It is difficult but not impossible to
control -- and does tend to build up with time -- but first work out
what is wrong!

Richard
Z 41 VT.

I plant the things and then hope hope for the best; they are for me
only, and I don't do much spraying. I've had good crops from my
Apricot (Sungold, or moongold. not sure) and nanking cherries-- but
first the cherries and now the apricots seem to have shoot die back,
and the apricots also seem to have what I think is shot hole
disease. One would have me spraying Copper at leaf fall, the other
forget the possible cure.

Does anyone have trees that have survived these and continued to
produce without extensive spraying of various things?

I think I'll plant more blueberries.....

Karen
zone 5 in NW Connecticut