nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weather

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weather
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:25:51 -0400

Tim – while I have not read the book, I’ve meant to for some time now, and I saw a video where Fred Singer give a discussion some time back.  My impression is that their argument boils down to one that you hear a lot – the climate has always changed, and always will, and therefore there is reason to attribute current changes to natural causes.

They could be right.  Singer, at least, is a credentialed person.  However, just because things have changed naturally in the past does not rule out un-natural changes now.   And just because there are many feedback effects that we don’t understand, does not mean that we cannot be causing problems.

There is a wealth of information out there, but it is hard to escape the political and emotional aspects of it.  Everyone is suspicious of the “other side.”   All I can offer is that the physics doesn’t care what we think or whether we can model it or whether we understand the feedbacks – so I think one benefits from understanding the physics of it, and the work that’s been done.  The American Institute of Physics has a lot of info on not only the physics, but the historical aspects of our developing understanding of how climate works.  http://www.aip.org/history/climate/    I think the whole issue is fascinating, frankly, even if one concludes it is scary too.