nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants, mesh

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants, mesh
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:32:48 -0500

Well, my NC deer have not read the manuals.  Despite lots of wild food, they eat my ornamental and culinary alliums to the ground. They browse my wild paw paw patch. They browse the wild blackberries here. They have decimated my hellebores.

Luckily, our woven wire fence (to 4 feet) topped by electrified high tensile steel wire to 7 feet keeps them (so far) out of my orchard/vegetable garden. Please keep the levitating deer away from the Southeast!

I have tried the black mesh to protect individual plants outside of the orchard.  I have removed all that remains as it has caught and killed multiple snakes and birds.  Too many casualties for very limited protection in my opinion.

Betsy Hilborn

7a NC