nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:40:16 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Melissa,

Deer will not eat Maypop or Pawpaw foliage under any circumstances - maybe
that is why they don't have thorns?
Rodents will chew into ripe Maypop fruit - they will chew out one side of
each one, but not until it turns orange-ish and soft. Best to grow them on a
trellis.
Possums and raccoons will munch on dropped Pawpaw fruit that is over-ripe. I
keep all fruit picked up and I don't have a problem.

Jim Nottke
NC z7