nafex - [NAFEX] apple trees from seed

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple trees from seed
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:28:26 -0800

Oh no, it's Murph, and he's gonna talk again.................

Last year, I saved a few apple seeds from various apples from my orchard, and from Fenton's. I stratified them for a few months, then planted them in pots. Some sprouted, some didn't. A couple months later, I was cleaning out the fridge, and I noticed that ALL the seeds I had left over from stratification had SPROUTED FINE !! Apparently, I jumped the gun in planting them. This year, I will wait until I see at least one or two sprouts before planting a each different variety.
    Hopefully, the fact that these seeds come from two small orchards having dozens of varieties, will create a more complex collection of results than seed gathered from Supermarket apples which are usually grown in large blocks. Last year's winners were Cortland and Golden Delicious, as far as tree vigor, leaf size, branch habit, etc. The Wolf Rivers that grew, turned into little shrubs!
    I'm also trying a few Surefire cherries from seed, just to see what happens. Does anybody have a 'favorite' apple variety for starting from seed? This is all just for fun; not a commercial venture.

Peace, Fruit Fans.

Murph