nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple trees from seed

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple trees from seed
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:33:30 -0500

I have been starting seedlings from Fameuse apples which are raised in a small heritage apple orchard. I just put the seeds in the fridge today
with a little damp peat moss. This is the 3rd year that I have done this; if it is like the other years in about 20 - 30 days about 90%
of the seeds will start sprouting. I will then put them in small plastic pots (early January) and then transfer them to larger pots in April. I let them
grow for a year in the larger plastic pots. In the Fall I will bury them and the follwoing year place them in a nursery. The apples I started 3
years ago will be put out to a permanent spot in 2009. It is really quite easy.

The reason I chose Fameuse is because I have read that they will produce apples very much like the fruit they came from.
Does anyone have hard evidence that this is, in fact, true? I guess I will know for sure in about another 5-7 years.

Peter Drevniok
Gatineau, Quebec zone 5; some planting in zone 3/4

Richard MURPHY wrote:
Oh no, it's Murph, and he's gonna talk again.................
Last year, I saved a few apple seeds from various apples from my orchard, and from Fenton's. I stratified them for a few months, then planted them in pots. Some sprouted, some didn't. A couple months later, I was cleaning out the fridge, and I noticed that ALL the seeds I had left over from stratification had SPROUTED FINE !! Apparently, I jumped the gun in planting them. This year, I will wait until I see at least one or two sprouts before planting a each different variety.
Hopefully, the fact that these seeds come from two small orchards having dozens of varieties, will create a more complex collection of results than seed gathered from Supermarket apples which are usually grown in large blocks. Last year's winners were Cortland and Golden Delicious, as far as tree vigor, leaf size, branch habit, etc. The Wolf Rivers that grew, turned into little shrubs!
I'm also trying a few Surefire cherries from seed, just to see what happens. Does anybody have a 'favorite' apple variety for starting from seed? This is all just for fun; not a commercial venture.
Peace, Fruit Fans.
Murph

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----