nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple and pear trees from seed

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple and pear trees from seed
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:00:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I have started grocery store and locally grown apple and pear seeds for
several years in a row as fun projects with my kids and the local
kindergarten classes. We've grown Granny Smith, Royal Gala, Pink
Lady/Cripp's Pink, Pacific Rose (some of those had red leaves and red
vascular tissue, makes pruning more interesting!), Fuji, Norkent, Ruby
Red/September Ruby, Ambrosia, Braeburn and Honeycrisp apples as well as Red
Bartlett and Comice Pears. I plant the seeds taken from apples eaten in
Jan/Feb so they are already cold-stratified and ready to grow. I simply put
them in a thick layer on top of dirt in a pint/500mL sized sour cream
container with drainage holes in the bottom, cover them with 1" of dirt,
water and watch them grow. Once the seedlings are about 2-4" tall I
transplant them individually into 1 quart/litre milk carton with drainage
holes in the bottom, set them in a Rubbermaid container and water
occasionally until the risk of frost is over.
I harden them off, dump them out of their container, plant them outside and
watch them take off. I have planted seeds outside in fall and that is much
less work, but obviously no fun for the kids/me! The upside to doing the
whole inside process is that the trees put on two years worth of growth: they
grow about 12-18" inside and then do the same thing outside (sometimes they
sit for a bit first), whereas the fall planted seeds only grow the 12-18"
outside. I've found that Pink Lady/Cripp's Pink and Royal Gala sprout the
most reliably and grow like crazy, but up here in zone 3b they tend to die
back and likely wouldn't fruit in our short seasons anyway, but it makes a
fun project for kids of all ages! ;o)

Sarah
Edm, AB