nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach hardiness

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach hardiness
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:11:45 -0600

Mark, We had weather like that in Dec of 1983. It damaged the peaches, but didn't kill them. The flower buds are most easily killed. While it means no crop the following year, it doesn't mean no crop ever. If you are curious, wait till you have some above freezing weather and clip off a small twig. Look for a black ring under the bark. The black ring from the Jan 1985 freeze remained in peach wood for the life of the trees. I read a book about a couple who planted an apple orchard in Tennessee back in the early 60's I think. The wife said it was so cold one winter that the apple trees got black rings in their wood. She said it was so cold that she thought if one of the family ever had to have a limb amputated, the drs would find a black ring in their bone. Donna