nafex - Re: [NAFEX] transplanting paw paws

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] transplanting paw paws
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:20:35 -0600

Alan,  I think it's just due to the tropical nature of the plants.  Sweet potato plants are another example of a tropical plant.  If you dig them in chilly weather and try to store them, they rot from every nick and cut.  If you dig them in hot weather or put them into a very warm shed (or wrap them in an electric blanket) you can get the cuts to heal.  I think pawpaws aren't just slow moving in the winter like other trees, I think they are in some kind of deep faint or something like coldsleep in sci-fi, a state very close to death.  You don't want to mess with the life support system of a person in "coldsleep".     Donna