nafex - Re: [NAFEX] paw paw seedlings

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] paw paw seedlings
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:07:17 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2008 7:52:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, alandhaigh@gmail.com writes:

Nevertheless I purchased a single [pawpaw] seedling from him to check it out.  I'd appreciate some input from objective sources.

First some back ground before I give my answer to your question. Two of my favorites are Sunflower and Prolific. Pawpaws seem to perform differently in various areas. Example Davis here isn't nearly as good as Sunflower. However I get great reviews of Davis from growers in more northern areas and Davis was bred and selected by Corwin Davis in Michigan.

I have a number of hand bred seedlings in one row, about 60 of them. The seed and pollen parents are a mix of Prolific, Davis, Sunflower and Overleese, all very good varieties in my opinion.  They are planted 5 feet apart which is too close. These trees are about 5 years old.

This year, especially, I evaluated them for size, disease (fungus) resistance, crop and fruit size and a few other characteristics. Taste is subjective therefore I made no effort to rate them #1, #2, #3, etc. There were maybe a dozen experienced pawpaw visitors who walked the row with me and tasted them and generally agreed on taste judgment.

Now to answer your question based on my experiences. Quite frankly I rate less than 50% good to outstanding in this row, everything considered.
If you have room for only a few trees, definitely go with grafted varieties that perform well in your area. Check with experienced growers in your area. I would not rely on seedlings of any variety.

Jerry