nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:50:30 -0600

Steve,

I used window screen to keep rabbits and borers away. In my
thoroughness/paranoia, I put tanglefoot on the top of the screen to keep
borers from crawling down inside the window screen. I doubt the tanglefoot
was necessary, but both rabbits and borers left the trees alone.

One problem I did have is the window screen kept the trunk moist and I had
some rot issues. Part of the problem was I wrapped too many layers of
screen around the trunk. The other part is we get more than our fair share
of rain sometimes. I have some screen on a few trees wrapped with just one
layer and it's working much better.

Mark
KS