nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:42:04 -0500

On Oct 29, 2008, at 9:22 AM, D Stubbs wrote:

With 400 trees to care for and the same problem with voles killing trees - years ago I went to the local hardware store that replaces window screens and asked for the old screen to be saved from the trash. They were most obliging - I got a pickup full by summers end - saved me a pile of money from buying new hardware cloth. I just double fold over the ends to secure.
Del

With one or two new trees each year, I also went to the local place that fixes window screens. Since I didn't need much, they just pulled a couple of pieces out of the trash for me there and then. I cut pieces to size with my kitchen scissors, wrap the screen around the base of the tree, staple it closed (with a regular stapler, leaving a fold of screen sticking out, where it's convenient to be stapled) and every couple of years I go and tug on the screens to make sure there's room for the trunk to expand. (I haven't yet had to pry out the staples and re-staple, but expect to do that next year on one or two.) The window screen is very easy to use.

I use the aluminum screen, not the newer fabric screen. I'm concerned the fabric might not deter hungry rodents. I have lots of mice and rabbits and have had zero problems with girdled trees. I think the window screen is good enough.

Ginda