nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another potential solution for Wild Rabbits or Mice.
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:14:30 -0500

Ginda Fisher wrote:
On Oct 29, 2008, at 9:22 AM, D Stubbs wrote:

With 400 trees to care for and the same problem with voles killing trees - years ago I went to the local hardware store that replaces window screens and asked for the old screen to be saved from the trash. They were most obliging - I got a pickup full by summers end - saved me a pile of money from buying new hardware cloth. I just double fold over the ends to secure.
Del

With one or two new trees each year, I also went to the local place that fixes window screens. Since I didn't need much, they just pulled a couple of pieces out of the trash for me there and then. I cut pieces to size with my kitchen scissors, wrap the screen around the base of the tree, staple it closed (with a regular stapler, leaving a fold of screen sticking out, where it's convenient to be stapled) and every couple of years I go and tug on the screens to make sure there's room for the trunk to expand. (I haven't yet had to pry out the staples and re-staple, but expect to do that next year on one or two.) The window screen is very easy to use.

I use the aluminum screen, not the newer fabric screen. I'm concerned the fabric might not deter hungry rodents. I have lots of mice and rabbits and have had zero problems with girdled trees. I think the window screen is good enough.

Ginda

Shifting subjects a bit... I use the heavy hardware cloth to prevent rodent damage and I take it off every spring.
However, this discussion about using window screen has made me think and wonder about borers. Wouldn't people with lots of borer trouble maybe be able to keep the adults from placing eggs on/in the trunks if they just kept them covered with window screen? Is anyone doing this already?

Steve