nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Frozen (?) apples

  • From: Jean Burgess <tropicofkansas@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Frozen (?) apples
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:45:07 -0800 (PST)

This reminds me of a discovery that my wife made years ago: that all those useless ornamental crabapples become very tasty if they hold their fruit until a good freeze turns them translucent and soft. Then they can be pulled off the tree, mashed through a strainer, and combined with flour, butter & sugar to make a delicious (and beautifully colored) pound cake. It is about that time right now.

-Eric Farnsworth, Lawrence KS

Richard Fahey, Nafex's apple interest group chairman, has selected a
lot of what he calls "dummy" apples - varieties that will hang on into
the winter.  He collects frozen fruit from the trees and presses them
for a very sweet, clear juice in the midst of winter.
-Lon Rombough