nafex - [NAFEX] Frozen (?) apples

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Frozen (?) apples
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:53:10 -0500

Lucky Pittman inspired this comment when he asked what temperature would damage his late apples. This isn't intended to be another answer for him but more a story about what I just experienced.

Honeygold is about the latest ripening apple I dare to grow here. Some years, they aren't very good because the season wasn't long/warm enough. I mentioned some months ago about how I didn't spray a fungicide this year due to rain, wind, or both just about every day in the early part of the summer. The Honeygolds suffered greatly from this and were badly spotted and scarred by scab. (The high speed hail storm in June didn't help their looks either.) I wanted to thin them heavily to get rid of the most damaged fruit but they were so bad that I lost interest and never did thin them properly.

I picked the best of them before we had a hard frost but left most of them on the tree, thinking I would pick and discard the rest. (I still hope to do that.)

I walked out there today and noticed that there were still some decent Honeygolds up in the tree. I tasted one and it was good so I picked a dozen more of the better ones and took them inside. I have eaten two more today. If someone had asked me the same question about how cold can they go without damage, I would have answered upper to maybe mid 20s.

Here's the point of all this. We had a prediction last weekend of 10 or 11 degrees for the low. Today I checked my recording thermometer, which is wired to a different apple tree near the Honeygold and my yard went down to 15 degrees Saturday night. I do believe the texture of the apples I picked today is slightly different but they are still good. If you tell me they would now not store as well, I would believe it. I'm just surprised they are still very edible after 15 degrees. Any comments?

Steve in the Adirondacks (Zone 4a on the map, zone 3 by the thermometer)