nafex - Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons

  • From: "Robert Bruns" <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:36:07 -0400

Jerry -

Yes, I've read that the puckery substance precipitates out when the persimmon becomes ripe.  What I'm wondering is whether the soluble puckery substance cross-links something in your saliva with something in the persimmon, producing an insoluble material that makes your mouth feel like it's full of cotton.  Polyphenolic substances such as tannins are known to undergo cross-linking reactions like what I described.  The ripe persimmon may have something (enzyme, binding substance, ..?) that reverses the reaction.  Maybe someone at one of the agricultural universities (Purdue?) would like to figure out what's going on.

Fred