nafex - Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:55:30 -0700 (PDT)

I can't imagine eating enough astringent persimmons to
cause any sort of digestive problem. They taste so
extremely horrible, I'd think anyone would know not to
eat more than a bite.

I guess different people have different tolerances,
though. My husband enjoys ripe, soft, juicy persimmons
from the astringent category, even though the small
amount of astringency they have left is still way over
the level I can tolerate. I leave those persimmons to
him. Oddly, I enjoy spicy food that he finds way too
hot to eat, so it's not like he's insensitive in
general.

The non-astringent persimmons, however, are delicious
to both of us. I don't suppose there's a variety
that's hardy here in zone 5? It seems that all the
hardy varieties are astringent. I guess I could plant
one just for my husband, but I'd like to eat them too.

Melissa