nafex - Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:01:53 -0500

Melissa,
These persimmons you are talking about eating, are they wild ones? Have you tasted any persimmons from grafted trees? there are differences among individual clones, some have more astringency than others. I have a tree of Early Golden and find it quite astonishing. The fruit looks almost artificial, it's so incredibly orange, and is much firmer than my local fruits. The astringency seems lower than average. Even the local persimons are more orange and less blue looking this year, I don't know why. I think if you'll buy a tree or better yet graft Early Golden onto an existing smallish tree, that you'll find you will be just as pleased as your husband. Donna