nafex - Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] questions about [American] persimmons
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:04:23 -0700 (PDT)

Donna,

I've never counted a superior sense of taste among my
superpowers. I notice but enjoy the bitterness of
turnip greens etc., and my husband claims I must have
no taste buds left from all the hot chilies I eat. I
guess I'm just extra-sensitive to astringency.

Just to confirm this, other people here have eaten
astringent variety produce store persimmons, right?
When they're on the discount rack because they're as
soft and gooey as an overripe tomato, I still can't
stand them, but I guess you people would tell me that
that's when they're good.

I like the plan of planting a hardy American tree,
grafting tender non-astringent kaki onto it, and
wishing it luck. Or maybe I should wait until someone
breeds a non-astringent hardy tree, since I see that
there are some Asian/American crosses available
already. I wonder how many genes control this
astringency trait, as it seems like a simple on/off
thing, so maybe non-astringency could be backcrossed
into a hardy American genetic background. Then again,
I don't imagine there are teams of plant breeders
working on this problem.

Melissa