nafex - Re: [NAFEX] chestnut apple - late season

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] chestnut apple - late season
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:27:53 -0500

Steve , I experienced that until today on our chestnut 'lunch box' apples as well.
 I had nearly given up on them to be their usual amazing selves this year, but, 6 weeks late & if the temps can stay above freezing a bit more I think they will nearly make it. Two of three today had real zip.
Del z2/3 MN

Speaking of Chestnut crab, do yours taste as good as usual this year?
Mine are late too, with most of them still hanging on the tree. They are
usually my favorite flavored apple with a rich, sweet, complex flavor.
This year, I could describe them about the same but I don't like them.
Something in the flavor just isn't right. I wonder if that will be true
if they ever ripen this late again some year?

Steve

--
Del,  2b/3a  n. Mn