nafex - Re: [NAFEX] smoked fruits?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <growyourown@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] smoked fruits?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:12:01 -0500

I don't think smoked fruits would be very good. It makes me think of the time I found ants in the food box on a camping trip and put several items next to a smoky fire to drive the ants away. The summer sausage was improved, while the fruit and nut bar became nearly inedible. That same trip (to last year's Nafex meeting) we stopped to see friends who had some chips left over from THEIR camping trip in which they had recrisped them in damp weather over a fire, and nobody could stand to eat them after that. That said, there are probably a few types of fruit that would be ok smoked. Donna