nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:32:16 -0500

But Hector, I'm sorry to say that the USDA autumnberry project at Beltsville,
although highly successful, has been abandoned. The principal investigator
has left, his assistant has retired, and the plantation has been eradicated.
I wrote to both of them seeking cuttings of their most successful cultivars,
several of which apparently were spectacular producers, and was told none had
been preserved (not even in a germ plasm repository!). When I wrote back
asking the reason for this extraordinary, I received no reply.

What a waste! That's really a shame, Hank.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato