nafex - [NAFEX] raspberries (was Haskaps)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: swim_at_svc@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberries (was Haskaps)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 00:26:44 -0400

On Sep 9, 2008, at 12:20 AM, John S wrote:

Ginda,

I seldom get any red raspberries but do successfully get some Fall Gold.  The birds get nearly every Heritage before they fully ripen while the fruit eating wasps typically get most of the Fall Gold first crop, but don't seem to bother the later fall crop much.  I do agree with you that raspberries can be a good home fruit to grow.if your pest pressure is not too bad.

John

Interesting.  I grow "Fall Red", which ripens at about the same time as "Heritage".   My birds (and I have lots) rarely bother them.  The birds are very diligent about getting at my blueberries, and eat the currants if I don't pick them promptly.  I do have a cat who hangs out near the currants, which helps there.

The ants get a few raspberries, but they are considerate enough to eat a few whole berries, rather than taking a bite out of every one.  One year the squirrels tore down all the new canes while trying to get at the berries in the old canes, but for whatever reason, they haven't repeated that trick.

Where do you live?

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6