nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crabapples, and haskaps

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crabapples, and haskaps
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Melissa,

I highly recommend Haskap/Honeyberries as worth growing. They taste like an
Oregon Grape crossed with a Blueberry: they may be a bit tart for eating out
of hand for some people, but they make the tastiest pies, jams, sauces, etc.
We have almost all of the many varieties available: Blue Belle, Berry Blue,
Blue Velvet, Svetlana, Blue Pear, Cinderella, Polar Jewel, Polar Night,
(still looking for Blue Forest and I didn't have time to put in the new ones
from U. of S: Tundra, etc.). They all taste a little different: some are
definitely sweeter than others and some have a hint of bitterness if picked
too green (does not show up when cooked). They have never died back in zone
3 even with no protection or snow at -35F and have produced nice crops of
inch long berries with little watering. The one thing they are susceptible
to is Spit Bugs which don't seem to actually bother them. The only other
caution I have is that their branches are very brittle: our
deer chaser dogs made a path beside one bush that started the winter 3' tall
and ended it 6" tall!

As for sources: Park Seeds carries 'Blue Velvet', but you need two for
cross-pollination (I believe Park Seeds lists their honeyberries as zone 5 or
something ridiculous like that: they are zone 2, probably even zone 1 hardy).
You could check with DNA Gardens as they might ship across the border.

Sarah, zone 3, Edmonton, Alberta