nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crabapples, and haskaps

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crabapples, and haskaps
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:41:09 -0400

On Sep 8, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:

I've been enjoying the lively discussions of obscure
fruit on this list. My husband and I just bought a
house with a big yard, and we're eager to rip up the
useless lawn and plant more interesting plants next
spring. You're all giving us lots of great ideas.
. . .
But anyway, I'm mostly thinking of planting species
that are so obscure, the local pests hopefully won't
know what to do with them. . .
Melissa
Central NY, zone 5

It's not obscure, but I recommend you put in some raspberries. They are my easiest and most successful crop. I don't spray them, and control the cane borers (my only real pest) by cutting out affected canes. Raspberries are expensive in the store because they are hard to ship, but they make it from my backyard to my table without any trouble.

I don't have much Japanese beetle pressure. That might be an issue if you do. And I get some damage from the squirrels. But compared to the damage to the strawberries (total) and the blueberries (need extensive fencing) the raspberries are nearly pest-free.

I've also had good luck with currants, but they are not as good for eating out of hand.

If you grow Hascaps, please report back. That's a plant I've been thinking of playing with.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6