nafex - [NAFEX] Melissa's Dream of a Sprayless Orchard

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Melissa's Dream of a Sprayless Orchard
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 05:37:13 -0400

Melissa, of course you should read Lee Reich's "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention" which I believe he'll be happy to read my plug for.  At the same time don't assume a fruit need be obscure to succeed unsprayed.  Raspberries, black and red as well as blueberries usually require no spray in the home orchard in your location.  You may also luck out with pears which often also succeed without much care aat least until psyla and/or scab rains on the parade.  You should even try a hardy peach if you are planning to grow it in a managed turf.  If I was you, I'd even try a single Goldrush apple although your season there might be too short for it to ripen properly.  It is relatively insect  (plum curculio) resistant.  In my experience, things sometimes become uncommon because they are not terribly useful for most of us.

Alan Haigh, The Home Orchard Co.

  • [NAFEX] Melissa's Dream of a Sprayless Orchard, Alan Haigh, 09/09/2008