nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit butter

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit butter
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:50:55 -0700

Naomi,

I think most people don't realize the preserving action of sugar in
preserves; the acid part of the equation makes immediate intuitive sense.

Both the acid and sugar have preservative qualities; heat and moisture are
the other factors. Low-sugar pickles need to be high acid; low-acid apple
butter needs a good concentration of sugar; low-acid/low-sugar canned
asparagus needs the extra heat of pressure canning. Acids are antagonistic
to spoilage organisms that, like most living things, require a specific pH
range. Water is drawn away from areas of less concentrated solution and
into a more concentrated solution; saturating the free water in a jam or
jelly with sugar surrounds any pathogens with a very concentrated solution.
Water moves out of the spoilage organisms, killing them. Salt would work
equally well, and might help one lose weight - nobody would go back for
seconds of that jam... Meats can be - and historically have been -
preserved by salting or sugaring, which preserves them by the same method,
without the addition of acids.

Sometimes people will follow a preserve recipe exactly except that they'll
decrease sugar, as one can with a low-methoxyl pectin; that can lead to
spoilage. Low-sugar preserves will need to be frozen, or heat-treated
differently (or have high-enough acid). So Betsy was right about her
delicious-sounding fruit butters; without assurance of safe
sugar/acid/heat-pasteurization levels, they need to be frozen.

You are so right about acid levels in tomatoes. It's only considered safe
to can them with some added acid, as the pH can vary and sometimes be too
high for safety.

~ Stephen