nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pectin jell

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pectin jell
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:17:35 -0400

My experience with sugar-syrup recipes (jam, butter-cream frosting, lemon
curd) is that the only way to boil it just right is to do it several times
and learn what it looks and feels like when it's reached the right
temperature. Unless you make much larger batches than I it's very hard to
get the thermometer fully in the juice/syrup, and even if you do, it's
troublesome to have it sticking out from the smooth interior of the pot
when you need to stir constantly.

I find all sugar syrup recipes to be unreliable until I have made them
successfully 3-4 times, which is about what it takes me to learn to
recognize when it's 'done'.

Once I master a particular recipe, though, I get consistent results. I am
especially fond of my red-currant jelly, which is made of red currant juice
and sugar. (nothing else)