nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pectin jell

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pectin jell
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:33:32 -0500

I don't know the answer for sure, but based on years doing marmalade, it is possible you didn't get the boiling correct.  Many recipes say this or that about how long or much.  If you didn't learn this from someone who had it figured out, the best way is to use a "candy" thermometer which will tell you when you have reached the jelly stage.  If it still doesn't jell, then its pectin or sugar is the problem. But for certain if you didn't get it to the right temperature, you won't get it to harden just right.  If you do it too long, you will get something more like peanut brittle.  All three types taste good.

 Bob Randall