nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Novice grower report

  • From: "Deb S" <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Novice grower report
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 00:00:50 -0400

Thanks for the red currant suggestions.  I've had Red Lake before at another location...looks like I need to plant it here.

On the black currants...if they were dead ripe, all were edible out of hand.  They all had a fairly foxy, flavor.  I could eat a few of them, but felt they were much better as juice and as jellies.  I liked them better than blueberries, but not as much as gooseberries :)

All of  my varieties of gooseberries were very good right off the bush.  Thorny as all heck, but I suspect that helps keep the fruit thieves (aka coons) away!

deb