nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Novice grower report: storing melons

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Novice grower report: storing melons
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:19:26 -0400

On Aug 8, 2008, at 1:37 PM, William C. Garthright wrote:
Two years ago, I planted cantaloupe - two different kinds. But they all
came ripe in the same week in August,... and it happened to be a week
when all my family was out of town. I ate cantaloupe until I thought I'd
burst, and the rest rotted as I tried to save it.

You can freeze cantaloupe: just cut it up, add a little sugar if desired, and pack it in its own juices. While the result isn't anywhere near as good as fresh melons, it's still a whole lot better in January than what's then available at the grocery.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly