nafex - [NAFEX] Thornless blackberries in Minnesota

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thornless blackberries in Minnesota
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:26:11 -0500

Mark Angermayer wrote, "I understand thornless varieties wouldn't survive your cold."

Mark,
I have tried several thornless blackberries and, while many of them will survive my Winters, Their fruit wants to ripen in October, usually after the killing frosts.
There is one exception, Doyle, a trailing type, ripens in September and, in normal years, I can get up to half a crop in before a frost. Trouble is, it can't handle even light frost whereas the other varieties that I experimented with seemed unaffected by light frost. In order to get Doyle through the Winter, I need to weight down all primocanes so they get covered with snow.

I'm probably re-'inventing the wheel' here. I harvest several hundred pounds of blackberries annually and I wonder if there might be an easier way than the way I grow them. The only blackberry plants I've ever seen in anyone's garden here in North Central Minnesota have been wild types that someone was trying to get rid of. It sure would be nice to be able to trade notes with someone.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Thornless blackberries in Minnesota, Jim Fruth, 08/08/2008