nafex - [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:24:33 -0500

Tanis Cuff wrote, "As I watched catbirds wrestle 1/2 ripe, bright red berries off my Amelanchiers first really good crop, and then the robins came and fought over the remaining berries which began to turn purple, I looked around for other ripening fruit-- for birds OR people!"

Tanis,
I have red, plastic berry beads hanging in my Juneberry bushes and Cherry trees and the birds ignore the fruit. The beads remain there the year around. They are hung using dead-soft aluminum wire - once per year I check/adjust the wires that may be too tight on branches.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: