nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:04:11 -0400

On Jul 20, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

I have red, plastic berry beads hanging in my Juneberry bushes and
Cherry trees and the birds ignore the fruit. The beads remain there the
year around. They are hung using dead-soft aluminum wire - once per year I
check/adjust the wires that may be too tight on branches.

Hi Jim --

I keep intending to try this; but don't have any idea where to get the beads. Where do you buy them? (and, are other types of fake fruit available to do this with? apricots? grapes? strawberries?? Have you tried it with anything besides juneberries and cherries?)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly