nafex - [NAFEX] yellowjacket nests

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] yellowjacket nests
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:11:47 -0700

The yellowjackets that I have seen in Oregon and Alaska build big whiteish papery nests underneath eaves. I have washed them down with a hose, keeping a good line of escape for myself if needed.

But as a child in Alaska I remember throwing rocks at a nest. They figured out the line of fire and one hit me in the middle of the forehead - just like a burning hot needle. I raced to the kitchen and mixed a paste of baking soda and water and slapped it on the sting. The pain stopped quickly, and there was no swelling. I can't blame the critter actually, after all, he was only defending his home!

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon