nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to kill tree roots?

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to kill tree roots?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:54:46 -0500

I had never heard of the diesel treatment, an internet search found this page,
"http://www.gardenerscorner.org/subject011720.htm
scroll down to near the bottom to the paragraph titled ....

"John D'hondt on wed 3 may 06"

Del Stubbs

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org> wrote:
In a local park naturalization project, we have had some success with
cutting Manitoba Maple (box elder) and preventing regrowth, by applying
full strength Roundup to the cut stumps within two minutes.

It has been recommended to me to carry out this procedure only when the
temperature is 24 degrees C. or above, and we have tried to comply.

The same procedure has not succeeded when applied to numerous sprouts
from the root system of a poplar which was cut down a few years ago,
probably because not all the sprouts were cut and treated.

An internet acquaintance in Ireland has told me that he has had success
with petroleum jelly mixed with 10% diesel fuel. I have not tried this yet.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada