nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Graftwood - how long will it keep?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Graftwood - how long will it keep?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:07:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2008 8:05:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ed.fackler@gmail.com writes:

    I've kept it for over a year in excellent condition (by accident...forgot it!).  If it is still plump it will work now.

Ed is correct. If stored properly such that is retains moisture, cambium still green, thus plump, it will be viable a long time. I've successfully grafted virginiana persimmon scion wood that had been stored 14 months.  Keeping it from dehydrating or buds from decaying from too much moisture is key.

Temperature and species is also critical. I'd suggest storing scions as close to 32 degrees as possible. Example: Cherry scion wood will not store long at 45 degrees as the buds will swell starting to expand. Then success rates drop dramatically.

Jerry