nafex - Re: [NAFEX] root barriers

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] root barriers
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:10:14 -0500

On the rather more extreme end, last year I needed to rent a ditch machine for burying some elec wire. When I was done I took it to my orchard and dug an 800' long trench around the 2 sides that are bordered by aspen. Aspen have very invasive roots, going 30 or 40'. I only filled in the trench where it was necessary - there I may have to trench every five years. The  trench cut thousands of aspen roots. Rental cost was $50 and half a days work.
Del