nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Graftwood - how long will it keep?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Graftwood - how long will it keep?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:31:18 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2008 11:09:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kumquat@operamail.com writes:

There is something of a nexus between getting chill hours outdoors while being connected to a rootstock that makes things get the required chill hours. Early collected scions receive all kinds of chill hours in the 33 degree frig, but does not come out of dormancy spontaneously!

I am still looking for the explanation of what the rootstock has to do with it ....

Interesting point Ken.

My limited experience with cherry scion has always been late cut. By late I mean mid March. The understock likely has started pushing sap. I suspect therein is the understock effect. Never have cut it early, like Jan.

In zone 5, Jan. cut Prunus wood stored at 45 degrees may store longer than March cut wood. That would be easy to test, provided I remember to. Storing persimmon scion wood at 45 degrees has never been a problem which doesn't break dormancy till mid May, well after cherry.

Jerry