nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Selling fruit

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Selling fruit
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:31:39 -0500

We have tried both retail and wholesale with our fruits. Set up a table beside the road before the local farmer's market opened. Farmer's market was an enormous help. Regularity is crucial even at the market, but we have been able to introduce people to hardy kiwi, and autumn olives, as well as native persimmons, pawpaws, Chinese melon tree and other unusual fruits thru the market. It's the personal touch that is important, and we have little printed pieces of paper that tell how to use the unusual.
We tried wholesale but don't reall produce enough to supply - and I especially enjoy the direct sale to consumers who will come back next week and tell me how good (usually!) the fruit was.
Pick your own works well with blueberries for us, as the Amish come once a week during the peak season and finish off rows that you pick people only half finish. We don't allow you pick on raspberries or blackberries because of potential damage to the plants from careless pickers. We pick all the larger fruits.
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Ellen Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>