nafex - [NAFEX] canned okeweed

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] canned okeweed
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:58:53 -0500

Pokeweed has many berries and can be considered a fruit. Is any
canning company still canning pokeweed? Poke weed is poisonous but
boiling it in water several time probably reduces the toxicity. Look
at cassava. I remember seeing a picture of a can of pokeweed a long
time ago. I believe it was in a book about poisonous plants. Do you
remember the fuss about comfrey? In the 60's comfrey was praised as
the ultimate health plant to eat. I visited with a friend a hippie
in the 60's in California. They were really unfriendly until we gave
them money to stay with them in teepees. They ate mostly comfrey
because it was so healthy. They only fed their goats comfrey. It
was later proven that comfrey causes cancer and tumors of the liver.
I have not seen an advertisement to sale comfrey for decades. Just
because you eat something and don't fall dead it does not mean you
are not poisoning yourself. By the way my friend and I went out to
eat. We didn't eat comfrey.

  • [NAFEX] canned okeweed, Ernest Plutko, 05/24/2008