nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Secondary buds

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Secondary buds
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 14:43:18 -0500

Jim: An old guy who lives near me gave me several cut-off canes of
what he called a blackberry. He explained they were brought here in
pioneer days from Canada. He said the canes are hardy and do not die
in the Winter even if not covered and bear heavily. He said the
canes are long and arch over to the ground. Also said the canes
spread rapidly. They are growing a few leaves but the leaves have
three instead of five leaflets. The cane color is purple with a
whitish bloom. Thorns are not huge but bigger than red raspberries.
I am wondering if these are black raspberries. Don't know yet. I
asked to see his canes in his garden but he said no. Not unusual for
some of the people who live in the woods. You have to know them a
long time and buy them beers before they are friendly.