nafex - [NAFEX] Secondary buds

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Secondary buds
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 08:10:19 -0500

Heron Breen gave me several varieties of blackberry to trial in my zone 3, Minnesota climate. One variety, 'Thibodeau' has turned out to be most surprising. After I reported that Thibodeau wasn't able to survive my mildest of Winters (-25 F), I went out to dig up the plants to destroy them.
All buds under the snow-line survived but all (primary) buds above the snow-line got desiccated in the Winter's drying winds. Before I dug the first plant, I noticed little green dots along the stems. The secondary buds, next year's buds, are sprouting. (Deciduous plants produce two sets of buds).
Well, it looks like Thibodeau will get a reprieve. I shall wait to see if the secondary buds can survive a normal Minnesota Winter.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: