nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poke Weed

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poke Weed
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 07:56:05 -0500

I read about digging up a root of poke, keeping it in the cellar and harvesting the shoots like asparagus.  Delicious this past spring when before the greens came in.  Used poke many a time as a vegetable, especially good with scrambled eggs.  Seems to me I read that it is the seeds in the berries that have a toxin.  A child in our family ate some berries once, but evidently not enough or she didn't chew up the seeds.   Hector Black zone 6 middle TN