nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 64, Issue 41 Groundhogs

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 64, Issue 41 Groundhogs
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 10:43:54 -0400

On May 16, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Pete wrote:

Hi
No groundhogs here in South central MS.....Never saw one before. Are
groundhogs the same animal as prarire dogs?
Thanks
Pete/MS/Z8

No, different animal. A groundhog is a large solitary rodent, a little bit smaller than a raccoon, about the size of a cat. They have a very large appetite, but are otherwise sort of cute. When I see one I throw my cat out the door and tell her to go get it. They are larger than anything she's ever killed, but her presence disconcerts them, and they usually move along.

My father has had good luck excluding them from his garden with an electric fence. It's actually a regular chicken-wire fence with two electric wires, one at the top to discourage climbing, and one close to the ground to discourage digging.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6